Healthy Heart Diet - For a Healthier Heart
A healthy heart diet is vital to keeping your heart in tip top shape. Here are a few health tips to keep in mind when eating for your heart.
Tips for Healthy Heart Eating
- Choose lean meats and poultry. Bake it, broil it, or grill it.
- In a restaurant, choose steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sautéed.
- Look for foods that are low in saturated fats, trans fats, and cholesterol. Most of the fats you eat should come from polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, such as those found in fish, nuts, and vegetable oils.
- Look for foods high in potassium (unless your health care professional has told you to restrict the amount of potassium you eat). Potassium counteracts some of the effects of salt on blood pressure. However it is very important you discuss this with your doctor.
- Choose foods and beverages low in added sugars. Read the ingredient list to make sure that added sugars are not one of the first few ingredients, as ingredients are listed in descending order of weight. Those in the largest amounts are listed first. Some names for added sugars might include sucrose, glucose, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, maple syrup, and fructose.
- Pick foods that provide dietary fiber, like fruits, beans, vegetables, and whole grains.
You can get a number of healthy heart recipes here
American Heart Association Recipes
Healthy Eating Resources