Diabetic recipes can be a life saver. My wife was a diabetic for over 45 years before she underwent a successful pancreas transplant. However, the diabetes left her with way too many physical recipes, as well as diabetic neuropathy and she is now in a wheelchair.
Eating right is a must! Hopefully I can continue to add more and more diabetes recipes and cooking tips as well. I learned a lot over those years.
Sometimes a regular food recipe can become a diabetic recipe by simply making ingredient substitutions. We'll add those tips as well.
I have had so many requests for this that I am making pretty much a section of it's own. So as it grows I'll have plenty of links.
Healthy Stew for Diabetics
Beef or Turkey StewIngredients:
1 pound lean beef or turkey breast, cut into cubes
2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
¼ tsp. salt (optional)
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. cumin
1½ Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 medium onions, sliced
2 stalks of diced celery
1 medium tomato, finely minced
5 cups beef or turkey broth, fat removed
5 small potatoes,peeled and cubed
12 small carrots, cut into large chunks
1¼ cups green peas
* Preheat your oven to 375 °F.
* Mix the whole wheat flour with the salt, pepper, and cumin. Roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture and shake off excess flour.
* In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Now add the beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, probably about 7–10 minutes.
* Place the beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole dish.
* Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
* Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over turkey or beef in casserole dish. Cover dish tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375 °F.
* Remove from oven and stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20–25 minutes or until tender.
That is a delicious stew diabetic recipe! Feel free to make some substitutions and then . . .
Follow that with a delicious sugar free dessert.
Spicy Apple Twist 1 sm. apple
2 thin slices white bread
Cinnamon and Sweet'N Low mixture
Peal, core and cut apple in quarters. Roll the bread very thin and cut off the crust. Sprinkle bread with cinnamon and Sweet'N Low mixture and cut each slice of bread in 4 strips.
Put 2 strips together with a little water. Now form 2 strips. Wrap brad around apple slice. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and Sweet'N Low.
Place in Pam sprayed pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
Diabetic Foods to Avoid
Free Diabetic Recipes
Oven Fried Chicken 3 lbs. whole fryer chicken, cut-up
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 c. flour
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Skin chicken and place in the milk.
3. Place all the seasonings in the flour and mix.
4. Dredge chicken parts in flour, making sure all pieces are well coated and place on pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. After placing chicken on pan, spray top of chicken with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Place in oven for 45 minutes until juices run clear.